Water efficient choices are easy to make which can help your family save money on your utility bill and help protect the environment.
LUS makes water conservation easy. Through your LUS My Account, you can track your daily water consumption and discover ways to conserve water.
- Know when to water! From May 1st thru September 30th Lafayette has a water conservation ordinance. Lawn watering for even numbered houses should take place on Sunday, Wednesday, and Friday. Odd numbered houses on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday.
- Water in the evenings. Watering during the day can cause water to evaporate more quickly. Try to do your watering in the evening, especially in the summertime, to ensure the water you’re using goes further.
- Use mulch. A thick layer of bark mulch around flower beds, trees, shrubs and gardens not only helps suppress weeds but also retains moisture so you won’t need to water as often.
- Rain barrels are a great way to collect water for your plants. The water is non-chlorinated soft water and comes free from the sky!
- Leaving the water running while you brush your teeth can waste more than 5 gallons of water per day, so remember to turn off that tap while you shine your pearly whites!
- Wait until you have a full load of laundry or dishes before you run the washing machine. If possible, buy Energy Star rated appliances for even more savings!
- Install low flow showerheads and aeriated faucets in your house. These devices can reduce your water consumption by up to 40%!
- Repair dripping faucets both inside and outside the home. You may think a small drip is no big deal, but every drop of water adds to your bill.
- When washing your car, turn off the hose or stop the water flow with a shutoff nozzle when not in use. You could be using between 9 and 17 gallons per minute while running the hose.
- Sweep away debris with a broom rather than hosing off your porch, patio, or driveway.