Water Conservation Ordinance
Know when to water!
Annually from May 1st – September 30th, Lafayette Utilities System and the Lafayette Consolidated Government enact a water conservation ordinance to combat low water pressure due to automated lawn watering during the peak hours of late afternoon and evening.
The ordinance applies to LUS residential, commercial and City of Youngsville, City of Broussard, Town of Milton, City of Scott, Water District North, Water District South customers using automated watering systems and sprinklers. Fines* are accumulative and stay on record for three years.
LUS encourages customers to use our Stop the Drop water efficiency tips even when the water conservation ordinance is not active to help keep our water pressure stable.
Exceptions to the Schedule:
• Hand-watering (hose held by hand and equipped with a shut-off nozzle)
• Soaker hoses (drip irrigation)
• Newly-planted sod, landscaping and ground cover
• Customers using a water supply other than LUS (such as private wells or ponds)
• Conditions: 30-day exemption, daily watering during designated time of midnight to 2 p.m. ONLY
• Property owner must contact LUS at (337) 291-5743 to apply.
• Businesses that require water to operate such as plant nurseries and commercial car washes
To report a watering violation, contact LUS Dispatch at (337) 291-5740.
First offense: written warning
Second offense: $50 fine
Third offense: $100 fine and publication of name in a legal journal
Fourth offense: $200 fine and publication of name in a legal journal
Fifth offense: $500 fine and publication of name in a legal journal
Fines will be added to the offender’s utility bill. Enforcement will be by LUS water operations personnel. Persons cited can appeal within 15 days. Appeals will be heard at the Parking Adjudicator’s office.