Our mission is to provide high-quality, competitively-priced services that exceed our customers' expectations, and contribute to the Lafayette Consolidated Government to support other community needs.
LUS/LCG Rain Barrel Program
The Rain Barrel Program is a Lafayette Consolidated Government (LCG) interdepartmental collaborative between Lafayette Utilities System (LUS) and the Environmental Quality division of Public Works (PW).
The purpose of the program is to promote outdoor water conservation and sustainable stormwater management of the Bayou Vermilion Watershed.
About our ProgramThe LUS/LCG Rain Barrel Program is designed to offer rain barrels to Lafayette Parish residents at a reduced retail cost and make them easily available for purchase during the spring season of each calendar year. We will begin taking orders for 2014 starting March 10, 2014.
For more information about the rain barrels we offer in addition to the accessories that are available for purchase through the program, please click here to view our vendor’s webpage.
What is a Rain Barrel?
A rain barrel is a container used to collect and store rainwater from rooftops at either the downspout or the lowest pitch area of a roof. The water can be used later on your lawn, garden or for other outdoor purposes.Why use Rain Barrels?
Is a Rain Barrel right for me?
- Saves money on water bills.
- Lawn and garden watering can account for up to 40% of your household water bill during the spring and summer months. Rain barrels can reduce your outdoor water use by using rainwater rather than tap water.
- Improves water quality of the Bayou Vermilion
- Rain barrels reduce the amount of stormwater runoff and surface water pollutants that enter our watershed. For more information on stormwater runoff, visit www.lafayettela.gov/stormwater
- Provides optimal water for plants
- Rainwater is naturally soft water and devoid of chlorine and other chemicals found in tap water. For this reason, plants thrive on rainwater.
A rain barrel can be a wonderful addition to your yard and a useful tool for your outdoor watering needs. A rain barrel is right for you if:
You use a garden hose, soaker hose or watering can for your outdoor watering needs. The filled barrel will not provide an adequate amount of pressure to connect to a sprinkler system.
You use water for outdoor purposes at least once a week.
The placement of the barrel will be in a surrounding location that slopes away from your house and neighboring properties.
The area surrounding the rain barrel is a pervious surface that can soak up overflow water.
Rain Barrel Components
The rain barrels being offered are recycled food grade barrels and made up of the following:
Removable Top: Screw top lid with a drilled hole in the center for rain to enter.
Mesh Screen: Attached to the lid to keep out debris and mosquitoes.
Overflow Valve: 3/4 inch sized valve attached to the top of the barrel and used to redirect overflow water.
Drain Valve: Located at the bottom of the barrel and used to attach additional barrels for greater water collection.
Spigot: Allows for access and control of the rainwater.
Capacity: 55 gallons
Diameter: Approx: 21 inches
Height: Approx: 34 inches
Material: Polyethylene (plastic based)
Color: option of black, gray, terra cotta or blue
Download our Rain Barrel Brochure which includes an Installation guide.
The rain barrels are available to Lafayette Parish Residents for the wholesale price of $54. There will be a limited supply of 450 rain barrels available for a discounted price of $35.
To be eligible for the discounted offer, the following criteria must be met:
- LUS residential water customer
- City of Lafayette resident
- LUS account must be current
- One discount per account allowed
This offer is limited to 1 barrel per household. Additional barrels may be purchased for $54.
Orders and payments will be accepted the following methods:
How to Order
Orders and payments will be accepted via the following methods:
- Order online using a credit or debit card. (a $2.50 online processing fee will be added for all online purchases).
- Mail check or money order payment made payable to Upcycle Products (no later than April 18, 2014) along with mandatory order and disclaimer form to:
400 E. Wapella Street
Minooka, IL. 60447
Click here to print order and disclaimer form.
- Place order in person using check or money order made payable to UpCycle Products at the LUS Customer Service Desk at the following locations:
- City Hall – 705 W. University Avenue
- LUS/LUS Fiber Retail Center- 1875 W. Pinhook Road
- Accessories such as barrel pedestals, downspout diverters and linking hoses are also for sale and available to order using the following above methods. To view the accessories being offered, click here.
*All orders must be received by April 25, 2014. Checks and Money Orders must be submitted by April 18, 2014.
All orders will be available for pick on:
Saturday, May 3, 2014
from 8 am - 12 pm
The Public Works Administration Facility
1515 E. University Ave (between General Mouton and Evangeline Thruway)
Lafayette, LA 70501
If you are unable to pick up your rain barrel during this time, please send an email request to firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule another pick up time.
Please contact Customer Service at 291-8280 or email email@example.com for additional information or questions about this program.
If you would like to receive updates regarding our Rain Barrel Program, please click here to subscribe to our email list.