- Repair dripping faucets and leaky toilets. Dripping faucets can waste about 2,000 gallons of water each year. Leaky toilets can waste as much as 200 gallons each day.
- Only run the dishwasher and clothes washer when they are fully loaded.
- When shopping for new appliances, consider a high efficiency model (with the ENERGY STAR logo) that will use less water and less energy.
- Turn off the water when brushing your teeth or shaving and save more than 5 gallons per day.
- Defrost frozen food in the refrigerator or in the microwave instead of running water over it.
Source: American Water Works Association, www.awwa.org