Look Before You Plant
Determining the location to plant a tree should be based on ensuring the appropriate space is available surrounding the primary utility line. DO NOT plant under a primary line and make certain trees and shrubs are in the proper growth zone.
• Low Zone - Height cannot exceed 25 feet in the area 20 feet from the primary lines. (Rosebud, Dogwood, Crabapple, etc.)
• Medium Zone - Height cannot exceed 40 feet in the area 20 to 50 feet from primary lines. This prevents damage to power lines from overhanging branches and toppling of trees during storms. (Flowering Pear, Red Cedar, etc.)
• Tall Zone - Height is unlimited in the area 50 feet or more from primary lines. (Maple, Oak, Spruce, Pine, etc.)
Tree trimming and the selection of the appropriate trees when landscaping can prevent some of the outages caused by storms. Keeping tree limbs pruned away from power lines is safer and easier than removing damaged tree limbs during a major storm.
Asplundh Tree Expert Company provides specialized labor and equipment to LUS on a 24-7 contractual basis. Asplundh and LUS' tree pruning practices are in accordance with the National Arbor Day Foundation's Field Guide.
• Our contracted tree trimming crews work year round and are trained to deal with the potential hazards of dealing with trees near and/or in power lines.
• LUS has a maintenance schedule to keep trees trimmed back and away from main power lines.
• Crews respond quickly and safely to remove trees from power lines during storms and other emergency situations.
• LUS' Tree Trimming Staff is available to advise homeowners in the selection and placement of trees on their property. Our goal is to help homeowners avoid future problems with trees in power lines, as the trees mature. Contact us at 291-5711 for more information.
For the past 12 years, LUS has been instrumental in continuing Lafayette's recognition by the National Arbor Foundation as a "Tree City USA."